Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Been doing some reading

Mom says reading not only improves one mind but ones vocabulary of fine insults and sarcasm - what ever that means! The mom uses some strange words sometimes. Anyway, it has been a quiet day so I thought I would catch up on a little internet surfing. I borrowed the mom's glasses as they have an anti glare thing on them.....but woofsters they make everything look big! One of the things I was looking for was any 'famous' shelties' but I didn't really find any. But I did find this quote which I must say is 110% true......although of coarse I think we are number one in ranking but I guess sixth isn't too bad. Hope everyone is having a great week - woofitty woofs!

Shelties have a high level of intelligence. According to Dr. Stanley Coren, an expert on animal intelligence, the Shetland Sheepdog is one of the brightest dogs, ranking 6th out of 132 breeds tested. His research found that an average Sheltie could understand a new command in less than 5 repetitions and would obey a command the first time it was given 95% of the time or better.

9 comments:

  1. That information comes from Stanley Coren's book, "The Intelligence of Dogs". While I don't necessarily believe that the author's views are 100% correct, the book is a very fun read and quite interesting! Instead of hurting your eyes on the computer screen, maybe chilling in the sun with the book might be more enjoyable? Or better yet, curl up on the couch, close your eyes and have the momma read it aloud :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then I wouldn't be able to catch up with the email from my all my girl friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mum here read that book! It doesn't have a cover anymore though, someone else chewed it off! I didn't remember shelties were number six. I think collies are number one! Either that or number 16, something like that, but we are still smart!

    You look very handsome with those glass on super furry Reilly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw gee, I could've told you that! In fact, I think we Shelties really need to be in #1 spot, but in all fairness, I think it's really more of an indicator of the humans' ability to actually understand Shelties better - all dogs are more intelligent than they know!

    licks
    -Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Reilly! We finally have our internet connection again! Glad to hear your tests from the vet came back normal. Are you still really itchy? Love the photo of you in your glasses! I am sure that shelties are really #1 on the dog intelligence list - especially if it is based on me and you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We (Katie and I) agree with the quote about learning commands quickly...except the part about obeying. Katie doesn't so much obey as consent to doing things I ask!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ricky - you are back at last.....I missed you little buddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're one smart fella, Reilly, and those glasses make you look even smarter!

    Jessie tried out some of Ma's necklaces this morning but we forgot to take pictures :)

    Till laters

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  9. G'day Reilly

    Those glasses make you look really smart :-)

    Cheers

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for woofing at us - we read each and every one of them