Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Poor Paw

So off I went to the dreaded Mr Vet today. He checked out my foot and says that basically that weird thing fell off but it has left a big old rough callous in its place and that has rubbed up an ulcer on the pad next to it.

He then ATTACKED me with hardware - yikes can you believe it!!!!!  Actually he took a dremmel to the callous and smoothed it down - much the way the hoomans take a pumice stone to rough skin.  He was surprised how well I just stood there while he did it - until Mom told him that she uses uses a dremmel to do my nails so I am use to it.

I have some antibiotic ointment for the ulcer and some pain meds. He told Mom she needs to soak my foot for about 5 minutes a day to soften it and then use either the dremmel or a pumice stone on the callous and just take a little bit off each day.  REALLY MOM! - get my foot wet - you are kidding right - wet means water and you  KNOW how I hate water!!!!

He also said I need to stop licking it - easy for him to say!!!  Mom has dug out the dreaded  baby sock again to put on my foot  - oh the shame of it!  He also suggested we use some Udderly sMOOth Cream on it - kind of fitting really as their logo is cowpots!!!!!!!!!!

He did say if it doesn't get better that they might have to try to remove the callous but that would be the last resort as it would mean removing about a third of my pad. We will give my new 'beauty' regime a go and see what happens.

As for my toes spreading - he says that is "weird" It hasn't happened on any of my other feet and he thinks it might be some form of arthritis that is causing the bones to grow funny. The X-rays showed something similar to a human rheumatoid type arthritis happening in the joints of my toes.

27 comments:

  1. I hope your "beauty" treatment does the trick for you. And I would make sure you are fed a steady stream of treats as your paw is being soaked.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't sure about that dremel thingie near our paws... we'd rather soak them in water! Especially if it's the puddles outside!

    Sam and Pippen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woof! Woof! See I told you just a beauty ointment n it will cure it. Bone supplements will help you with your arthritis. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! Glad the toe thingy fell off and just left a callous that needed some sanding :)

    Waggin at ya,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I'm glad you're callous thingie will get better but not that you have early arthritis! I quite liked your Vulcan paw, but now I don't... Is it just old age, Reilly? Because you're not that old!
    Please get better soon, I have attempted to use magic powers to bestow some good luck on you! It may not have worked.
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reilly we hope your beauty treatment works. Again pal no licky licky or it will be the dreaded cone of shame. Heal quick pal. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Reilly. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, now that I think about it, Tucker's toes kind of spread too. I just called it old dog feet. When his nails started growing funny directions, I did take him to the vet and they took x-rays too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope thst dremmel and the "Cowspot" beauty treatment works. We do believe this needs to be treated with lots of treats and special huggies many times durning the day!

    You Pals
    Susie & Bites

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh u poor thing - y iz it hoominz think that in order tue make us feel better when we iz already in pain, we hazta haf more discomfort furst. An'we agree with Goose - a steady stream of treatz while undergoin'the soak treatment - hey, gotta haf treatz fur the TREATment. We Beaglebratz shure due hope u gitz all better fast. May-b Mr. Vet-man needz a little nip on hiz ankle – c how he likez feelin’worse b-4 he feelz better.
    Shiloh'n The Diva Shasta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a good thing its not my feet cos I can't handle anyone touching them, going to the vet to get my nails cut is a nightmare for all involved. I sure hope your treatment does the trick!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must be different than what Bailey had. So glad we didn't have to do that. Hope you feel better soon. Just the thought of the scraping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BABY SOCKS! Bad words!

    That foot sounds mighty sore. I hope it gets better soon because what your Dr Dog wants to do sounds even more painful. Have you ever considered a salt water soak? Some dogs find that soothing and it's disinfecting as well. Maybe it'll help soften the callous for scrubbing too? Good luck Reilly! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. We wanted to stop by and say HI! Sorry it took awhile to thank you for visiting our blog last week. Mom was out of town.
    Hope your foot gets better soon!
    Bailey,Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, none of that sounds like fun. Hope the treatments do the trick, and you don't have to go back to the vet.

    You're such a good boy Reilly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Someone mentioned the other day that their vet had recommended putting Listerine on a place that shouldn't be licked - because dogs HATE the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We hope the soak and the udder cream does the trick, Reilly!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with your udder cream. That stuff is great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor Reilly. Hope the medicine and the cow spot cream work real fast. Sounds painful. We will keep our paws crossed for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Obviously the vet has never met a logical Vulcan dog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope the beauty treatment works and you don't have to go back to the vet again. Oh lickie is a big NO NO, please just leave it alone for the time being, Reilly. You're such a good boy and we pray that you get lots of treats and hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. :-) You know, I bet tons of girly humans would pay quite a lot of money for that kind of beauty regime! Just think of it as a puppy delux pedicure! I hope the pain meds start working real quick!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so good Reilly to put up with the vet poking and prodding your foot. Hope your new beauty regime does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vets do what they do and I have found that just relaxing and going to your happy place gets it all over with quickly. Feel better, my friend, and no licking.

    Kisses,
    Dexter

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you said it perfectly...poor paw! I hope the tender loving care and udder cream works.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for woofing at us - we read each and every one of them