It was really tough going on vacation knowing the problems we were having with Reilly's foot but we talked with our vets and arranged for a vet on the Island to do daily bandage changes and hoped and prayed everything would be okay. Everything looked good until Thursday last week when we took him in and found out that once again the stitches had given way. We actually cut our vacation short so we could come back to our surgeons and get it seen too straight away.
Yet again (the third time now) there seems to be an infection in his foot so another round of antibiotics. Each time this happens the skin around the wound dies and looses the ability to hold the stitches in places. They took more swabs to send away so we can be sure exactly what infection we are dealing with and hopefully by the end of this week he will have it sutured again.
He now has to have his foot splintered rather than just bandaged - they are hoping the splint will help take the pressure off his paw and let it heal better. As you can see though - it is also taking a toll on my precious boy - I have never seen him so sad and despondent. Multiple times a day he goes and nudges his lead and looks at me with those big brown eyes and doesn't understand why we can't go for a walk - it breaks my heart every time I have to say 'no baby - not today'.
We knew going into this that having surgery on his pad was not going to be easy but we also knew the constant foot infections he was getting from the tumor could lead to something far worse too - so we just keep taking a day at time and hoping and praying - we are off to the vets again today and hopefully it will be looking a little better. Any power of the paw you can spare will be most appreciated.