Today thanks to Chewy.com we are reviewing Orijen's Regional Freeze Dried Dog Food. Note - this is a dog food and not a treat and what is shown is a sample bag.
The test began with Mom trying to read the instructions - trying being the operative word as the print was so tiny that even with her glasses on it was hard to read. Mom eventually got the magnifying glass out. Hopefully on the larger bags it is easier to read.
Okay - break the pattie (which looks and smells remarkably like poop) into quarters and add 1/4 cup of warm water. Wait 3-5 minutures until softened. We waited - and waited and waited - after 20 minutes it still hadn't softened. Mom decided to try boiling water instead of warm water and we waited again and waited and waited. Another 20 minutes and only the very outside was soft - the inside was still hard.
Now in all fairness - I loved the smell - my nose was twitchin and sniffin but Mom had to take the bowls outside as the smell was making her feel queasy. It is pretty stinky but as you know we doggies love anything that is stinky.
Here's the basics
Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Formulated to match your dog's natural diet, Orijen Grain-Free Regional Red food is loaded with the protein-packed meat ingredients that Mother Nature intended all dogs to eat — including free-range red meats, wild boar, beef, lamb, heritage pork and bison, plus wild-caught fish from Canada's northern lakes and cool Pacific Ocean, as well as regional fruits and vegetables. These world-class ingredients, all sustainably farmed or fished within Canada, arrive FRESH each day — so they're preservative-free, never frozen, and loaded with the animal proteins and fats that nourish your dog completely. Orijen benefits dogs of every breed, size, and life stage.
- 75% premium animal ingredients
- 25% fresh fruits, vegetables and botanicals
- Grain-free & carbohydrate-limited
- Infused with marine-source DHA & EPA Omega-3 Fatty Acids to support peak skin and coat conditioning
- Veterinarian-selected botanicals help support metabolism, strengthen organs, and cleanse the body of toxins
- B12 supports gastrointestinal function
Boneless Angus beef*, boneless wild boar*, boneless lamb*, beef liver*, boneless pork*, pork liver*, whole herring*, lamb liver*, beef meal, lamb meal, herring meal, salmon meal, Pollock meal, beef tripe*, bison*, lamb fat, whole egg*, red lentils, chickpeas, green peas, yellow peas, green lentils, herring oil, pea ﬁbre, yams*, sun-cured alfalfa, pumpkin, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*, blueberries*, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold ﬂowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium, Vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, riboﬂavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate
Available in 5 lbs, 5.5 lbs, 15 lbs and 26.6 lbs bags
- It was okay for me ...I can't say I loved it ......but the Dweeb...he didn't like it at all in fact he wouldn't even go near the bowl!
- Made in Canada
- Gluten Free
- Excellent for us doggies with allergies
- Chewy.com is an online store that offers quick and speedy delivery right to your door
- Didn't re-constitute like we thought it would - didn't even really go soft
- The smell for people is pretty bad - for us doggies - it is wonderful!
- The instructions on our bag was very hard to read
- We are giving this a 3 paws rating because it didn't re-constitute well, it smelt bad to the Mom and the Dweeb wouldn't even go near it!