We are joining Bacon
in a Shopping Trip Around the World again
- Soup - It is that time of the year here in the States for soup – shivers. What is your favorite can/container to buy and how much is it? We don't eat a lot of soup in our house but Mom recently found two she likes to have with a grilled cheese sandwich - the first is Cambell's Tomato Bisque and the second is Cambell's Orange Tomato Harvest which is made from yellow tomato's (why they don't call it Yellow Tomato Harvest we don't know) Mom doesn't eat tomato's normally as the acid in them burns her mouth - but yellow tomato's are low in acid and she can have those. If Dad is feeling puny - he will always go for stock standard Chicken Noodle Soup
- Christmas Trees – Since it’s Christmas time, how much are real trees going for in your area? We don't buy real trees unless they in pots and still growing. YES - Mom is a tree hugger and it makes her so sad to see trees cut down and just thrown out a few weeks later.
- Cold Medicine – Tis the season to get sick :) List what kind you normally keep on hand/price. Mom always reads all the ingredients on the packet and if she can find a generic brand that has the same things in it as the brand names do - that is what she will buy. Generic brands are between $6.99 and $8.99
- Hot Drink – During the cold season, what do you keep on hand for something hot – whether it’s coffee, tea, hot chocolate, hot toddy, etc. Name what you have/price. Mom use to be a obsessive tea drinker but because of her ulcer she has had to give it and now just drinks hot water. Every now again she will have a cup of hot Milo (which is a kind of chocolate drink but has vitamins and minerals in it) - Mom gets it from Australia and likes the Malt Milo the best. Dad doesn't drink any hot drinks at all
- Random Item of your choice. Growing up in Australia - Real Fruit cake at Christmas time is something Mom loves. She has a recipe her Mom used (it has over a pint of different alcohol in it and is made at the beginning of November - once a week it is brushed all over with brandy or rum. It costs about $30.00 (mainly the cost of the alcohol) to make but is a huge cake. It will keep for up to a year and is awesome!
That fruit cake sounds amazing! My mom used to make fruit cakes as gifts, but I don't think she brushed brandy over it weekly. How decadent!ReplyDelete
Have fun shopping! :)ReplyDelete
Have a Hap-Pee and Safe New Years Eve!
Just stopping by to wish you and your family good health and much happiness in 2015! XOXOX!ReplyDelete
Oh YUM! Thanks my friend for participating in Shopping Around the World. It's so fascinating to see the different prices and the different items that everyone buys. Did you know that my mom loves fruit cake too? Yours sounds awesome! XOXO - BaconReplyDelete
Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Healthy 2015.ReplyDelete
Wishing all our furends and their hoomans a wonderful New Year. May 2015 bring you health, joy, and happiness!ReplyDelete
Murphy & Stanley
Our mom can never remember the prices of anything!ReplyDelete
Our sissy made the fruitcake for us this year. It's our Nonna's recipe and it's so yummy!ReplyDelete
We don't buy soup - our mom always makes it.
Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly
A very Happy New Year to you!ReplyDelete
Dip Elliot and Lynne x
OMD HOMEMADE with the ALCOHOL kind of Fruitcake is SOOOOOOO delicious...ReplyDelete
We loved your shopping list...
We are sending you our wishes fur a
VERY MUCH HAPPY NEW YEAR iiiiiiii
those are AUSSIE exclamation points, BTW... hope your mum likes them iii
SHE just had a mince pie with HER cappuccino. Coffee is about the only hot drink SHE has....although sometimes 'hot water soup, too.' The rest of that list, we don't buy either.ReplyDelete
Happy New Year, we wish only the best for you in 2015.
We are wondering if you could send us just a small piece of that cake to try...do not send it to mom's address tho cos we might not evers see it.ReplyDelete
Lady can't eat canned soup now cause of the gluten in it. She was just learning to like a little fruit cake when she had to give up gluten too. We think all good things have gluten:)ReplyDelete
Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2015!
Hailey, Zaphod and their Lady
Truth is Mum has stayed away from the shops since Christmas, spent too much time there before hand I finks! don't worry though, there's still plenty of foodables in the cupboardReplyDelete
Happy New Year to you, Reilly and Denny, still looking smart and pawfectly groomed after the Christmas festivities I bet. And a very Happy Healthy New Year to all your family
Loves and licky kisses
Princess Leah xxx
I agree with your mom, I feel sorry for the trees too. Sadly it's complicated in europe to do good things, like re-planting the trees we bought in pots :o( Have a good 2015 with lot's of laughter :o)ReplyDelete
The Germans are big into fruit cake too. Here it is nasty stuff! Happy New Year!ReplyDelete
Hi Reilly and Denny,well we're dogs so we don't get soup but my dad likes Manhattan Clam Chowder (tomato base), Christmas trees - we all like them but we haven't had a real one because my peeps figure that Jetta and Owen would pee on it, cold medicine -we pass on that but my peeps might have hot water, lemon and honey, hot drinks - coffee and tea. We have room temperature water, we like most treats - bison jerky, dried salmon, bison liver, sweet potato "fries". Happy New Year everyone.ReplyDelete
That fruitcake sounds delish. Happy New Year to all of you.ReplyDelete
That fruit cake has our Mama drooling!!ReplyDelete
Happy New Year Smileys!
Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo
Happy new year boys! Love DollyReplyDelete