We are joinng Bacon
for shopping around the world again - this month we are doing healthy fruits and veggies - which of coarse WE would NEVER eat (well okay sometimes) but that Mom LOVES.
- Apples – What kind do you buy, how many, price per pound. - Last year someone told us about Ambrosia apples and we actually saw them for the first time in the store this year - they cost $4.49 for a bag of 8 and we have to agree - they are simply the best apples we have EVER tried. Normally Mom is a Red Delicious girl and they cost $1.49 a pound. They only had the Ambrosia apples in the stores here for two weeks which made Mom sad as they were soooo good and she scarfed down 3 bags of them in that time.
- Strawberries – How many ounces/pounds and price. - Now we have strawberry plants coming out the wahzoo in our garden but no actual strawberries on them - so we buy them at the store and they are $2.28 a pound
- Carrots – What size bag, price - Mom buys a 2 pound bag of real carrots not those little pre shaped things things and they cost $1.45. She loves them roasted with some olive oil and a little garlic salt.
- Green Beans – Do you buy fresh/frozen/canned? What kind and price. - We like them fresh or frozen - fresh they cost $1.68 a pound and frozen they $1.29 a pound. Now Mom sautes these with some bacon (sorry buddy) and onion and they the best!
- Lettuce – How much per head? - We just tend to buy a head of iceberg lettuce and it costs $1.48. We have never trusted those bag salads since all e-coli scares came out some years back.
- Random Fruit of your choice - Star Fruit - is a star shaped fruit that kind of tastes like an apple x pear flavor - each bite is different it can be kind of sweet or kind of sour - they cost $1.89 each and mom loves them dried. Mom loves hybrid fruits like pluots and apriums and peacharines which are plum apricots mixes and peach and nectarine mixes. They are usually about $3.99 for a box of 12.
- Random Vegetable of your choice. - Spaghetti squash is one of Mom's favorites. For those that haven't tried it - you should. It is a squash - has hardly any flavor but when it is cooked it looks just like spaghetti - it is very weird. You can boil it whole in a big pot or Mom likes to roast it whole. Then you scoop it out and enjoy -Mom has it with butter and garlic salt. Dad has it with Arabiata Sauce.
Haven't seen spaghetti marrow since leaving Sydney. Can't get it here.ReplyDelete
A very healthy shopping around the world today. Everything here depends on the season and imports so things vary quite a bit. Have a wonderful Wednesday.ReplyDelete
Best wishes Molly
Your prices are pretty comparable to oursReplyDelete
Lily & Edward
My mom loves Gala or Fuji apples. Will look for the Ambroisa apples.ReplyDelete
OH MY..... this made us HUNGRY... we love fruits and Veggies... our favorite squash is Acorn... butt Busghetti Kind is good too.ReplyDelete
We were just thinking about spaghetti squash too! We love butternut squash soup. Never noticed the star fruit one though!ReplyDelete
Murphy & Stanley
Our "Mystery Kiss" series resumes tomorrow! FFHT is coming on Friday!
We have to tell Mom about those ambrosia apples, she likes honey crisp but she is always open to trying something new.ReplyDelete
Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning
Mom likes Gala Apples and loves spaghetti squash and banana squash!ReplyDelete
Mr Bailey & Hazel
We have never seen Ambrosia apples but we'll be looking for them now! Our favorite apple is the Macintosh.ReplyDelete
We both love fruits and veges!
Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly
Great list guys :) and starfruit or Carambola is delish :) spaghetti squash is also amazing stuff...I used to grow it before we moved here to the land where nothing grows haaha..but a new veg garden soon will see me trying again..i also have some lovely pluots that I bottled...delish..and again our green beans here are the dearest by far! nearly $10 Aus dollars a kilo his week...sheesh..thanks for shopping with Bacon and I I guys..hugs Fozziemum xxReplyDelete
well our Mom and Dad are right there with yours, they eat that stuffs all the only thing we never had is the spaghetti squash. Mom says now she has gotta go check the prices!ReplyDelete
The Mad Scots
We buy most of our fresh fruit at the Farmers Market right now, so our prices are a bit higher...ReplyDelete
Mama just discovered pasketti squash last year and LOVES it!!
Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo
We get all our veggies from our CSA subscription May through October so I usually have no idea what individual prices are. We get kale that the dogs love and Leo can have entire heads of lettuce, cabbage, bok choy, etc. Since we live in The Apple State, we get apples directly from the farmer's... for a lot less than you or probably anyone else pays. The dogs all love apples and Leo would only eat apples and pears if we let him!ReplyDelete
Yum, looks good.ReplyDelete
Most of that stuff we get from our yard or from Daddy's family with the big orchard. We are always shocked at the prices when we have to buy produce at the store!ReplyDelete