Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Bailey Report #2

Hello again - Bailey here with "The Bailey Report" for this week. Now you may not know this but I have a cousin by name of Autumn and she lives with Maggie and Mitch. Hhhmmm I wonder if she knows she's my cousin? They have THE MOST beautiful garden and I love reading about it. So I asked Mom if I could learn about gardening too. Our garden is not anything like Maggie and Mitche's - but we are making a start. First of all Mom showed me the wonderful herb planter that my Dad bought for her. Mom says herbs are edible plants and can be used a lot in cooking. We have rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, chives, tarragon and some other herbs growing. Mom planted miniature marigolds in the bottom tray as they help keep bugs away. Pity it doesn't work on sparrows - they seem to love the chives for some reason. Then I checked out Mom's "pride and joy" as she calls it. This is her gardenia bush and I just couldn't keep my nose away from it - the flowers smell heavenly! I like how the flowers come out white and go to a butter yellow color after a day or two.











Next I went over to check out the raised veggie garden that my big brother dogervised the building of. Mom says we had some "issues" with the garden soil. We used a mix of top soil and good quality potting soil thinking that would give the plants a great start. Instead we found the soil was lacking badly in iron and many of the plants turned yellow. We bought some iron and new fertilizer and the plants are doing so much better now. The Japenese egg plant has a pretty bell shaped flower on it and the sweet Texas onions are really growing well. We also have garlic, spring onions, parsley, basil, heirloom tomatoes in black, striped and yellow, Italian eggplant and a variety of peppers growing. Who would think there was such a science to growing plants - wow I learned so much walking around with mom? Have a great weekend everyone and I will be back next week with a new "The Bailey Report"
Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Hi Bailey,
    I may have to reconsider this hat thing. You look absolutely stunning in your hat.

    I think I am crushin

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect hat for gardening. I love the herb planter. I bet it will smell amazing.as the plants grow

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is amazing. Great knowledge of gardening as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bailey, your hat and your garden are both bootiful! I forgot to put a link to my blog post here last night. It's the same as my brother's, tho. http://rottrover.blogspot.com.

    This has been a really fun contest!! Do YOU like water, Bailey?

    -Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely in your hat & the garden is great!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you look very smart and stylish in your pretty hat, Bailey! Mom loves the smell of gardenias - your bush is just beautiful. Thanks for the garden tour.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  7. That herb planter is so cool! Bailey seems like a natural in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bailey:

    I love your hat too! You look so very summery! Mommy hasn't tried hats with me yet. Not sure if she will or when. But I am sure I won't look as good as you do!

    Puppy Kisses,
    Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cousin Bailey! You have quite the green paw! Your herb planter is beautiful and your garden doesn't have one weed in it! One of our mom's favorite plants is the gardenia but we have to treat them as houseplants here in CT and mom kills all of her houseplants because she forgets to water them. OOPS!
    You look so lovely in your garden hat!
    We can't wait to see what you're up to next week!

    Love ya lots
    Maggie, Mitch and cousin Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent garden! We can't plant here for a couple more weeks. Which gives me lots of time to WEED! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice garden. Hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Bailey! I bet you can learn a lot about gardening from Maggie and Mitch! We can't wait to see future tours!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for woofing at us - we read each and every one of them