Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Walking Rock ??????













Okay - I have seen some odd things before - but look what was in MY garden this morning - it was a walking rock!!! Mom said I was being silly and that it wasn't a rock - but a tortoise. I say if it looks like a rock, feels like a rock then it is a rock - just that this one had a head and legs!!! And what was it doing in MY yard - that is what I want to know? I didn't give permission for any walking rock to go strolling through - doesn't it need a permit or something to do that? Mom and "she who is never seen" (dad's daughter) then got into a discussion about whether it is a tortoise or a turtle. Mom says this is a tortoise as it doesn't live in water (there isn't even any ponds around here !) "She who is never seen" says it is a box turtle. Mom just shook her head and said "well you might call it a turtle but technically it is a tortoise ! YOU ARE BOTH WRONG - is what I said - it's a walking rock ! In the end we all agreed to disagree - though EVERYONE KNOWS I am RIGHT ! We took the walking rock over to my favorite park and let him go there - we were worried if he stayed around our neighborhood he might get run over by a car or a lawn mower although personally I doubt a rock could get damaged! So what do you think. Rock, Tortoise or Turtle? Remember you can click on the photo's to see them bigger. We did find this information on the walking rock http://www.naturalheritage.com/citizen-science/past_projects/box_turtle/turtlebasics.aspx
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Bailey said he saw a small one once. Katy never has and thinks it looks like a rock, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really don't know if it is a turtle or a tortoise, but it sure looks like Thunder's friend Tony - he hasn't seen him since meeting him on one of our walks a couple of years ago. Please say hello to him from TD.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome - a rock that walks in your very own yard! :) That is just way too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE have those walking rocks around all the time here. Thing is, they can get hurt so you did good taking it to the park. Around here they get caught in the big machines that fix's our hay into big box shapes. If we get one that was hurt, Vickie takes care of them, she gives them shots in their Not Rock places and when they are better we take them out to our bird refuge. You are very lucky to have a walking rock. They are cool.

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmm. Don't know much about those little critters. I'll go with "walking rock". Because that is the coolest answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it is a turtle or tortoise; I'd have to see it up close to be certain. So for now I'm going with the theory that it's a walking rock.

    Your blog won the Stylish Blogger Award: http://littlesparklesdog.blogspot.com/2011/05/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have tons on turtles swimming in our pond but we don't have many rocks walking around, Reilly!

    Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  8. We think it is Stone Golem, of that we are quite abspawlutely pawsitive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - it sure looks like a rock to us! We think you did a good thing bringing it to the park - no one wants a hurt rock!

    Drop by when you get a chance - we are having a Royal Giveaway - I helped D put it together - lots of licks
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome!!! The walking rock looks so cool!

    I've never seen this in my yard, what a lucky guy you're! Well, I've those slimy 4 legs hopping creatures which I like to chase after but my humans are never happy whenever they see any in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew walking rocks existed!!!!!
    -Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOh, definitely looks like a rock to me! Do rocks have legs?

    Woofs & hugs,

    ~Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a walking rock appear in our yard one day. We have had that walking rock for 25 years know. We found him when our son was 4 and he is 29 know. Did you keep him for a pet? Sniffs, The HoundDogs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Walking rock of course! Moms are so silly sometimes - what's a tortoise anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! How cool. We have never seen one of those free and in a garden before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for woofing at us - we read each and every one of them