Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Expect the Unexpected

"Expect the unexpected" which is exactly what happened when we went for a nice long drive yesterday to a town called Hardy (about an hour west of where we live) and came across the Homesteaders Day (which celebrates the first European settlers in Hardy and also the Hardy Turtle Island Pow-Wow (which is a celebration and coming together of local Indians in the area).

For the first time in months we actually had some cold weather (only 55 degrees and windy) and Dad (being the big brave tough guy he is said he didn't need a jacket but guess who was freezing by time we had walked around for hour!) We didn't really get to see everything but the Dweeb and I were certainly loving the cold. I must admit I was the ROCKSTAR of both events as we I got "loved on" by EVERYONE, they were patting me, rubbing my back and ears, running fingers through my furs and all telling us me how gorgeous we I was. Mom said you would think they had never seen a fluffy dog before the way they were all carrying on. Dweeb got lots of compliments too but wouldn't let anyone pat him and hid behind or Mom's  legs or curled up between Mom's feet if anyone came close to him. Mom said she was actually pretty proud of the Dweeb as even though he was scared he walked perfectly by her side the whole time and didn't try to pull or run away (personally I think he was just to scared to leaves Mom's side.)

Sadly we didn't get a lot of pictures as Mom's hands were so cold she hated taking them out of her pockets to snap pics which I actually preferred cause it meant I didn't have to do any of that posing stuff she likes. These first two pics are of the Homesteaders Day where they had lots of demonstrations of everyday events from years gone by like wool spinning, shingle splitting, soap making, butter churning and so on.













At the end of the park was the Hardy Turtle Island Pow-Wow and we must say we enjoyed this a lot more. The Pow-Wow is actually a three-day event and includes traditional dance and drumming, a princess contest, as well as a trading area where Native American arts and crafts were sold. We were lucky enough to see some of the dancers and drumming and I must admit I didn't like the drums the first couple of times I heard them but once I got use to them they didn't bother me.And YES that was me woofing along with the singing - I was in fine woof !



28 comments:

  1. what a cool place (literally for your dad lol) I heard a bark at 0:11 was that one of you? I would like to see such a fair too, it's interesting how the peeps spent their days many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pow Wow looked very neat. So colorful! Sorry about the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very interesting event. We have cooler weather now too but it is still sunny which is nice. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like some serious fun !
    And I'm not surprised peeps wanted to fuss you two, you are very handsome guys !
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We liked how the dogs barked along at the beginning of the drumming video.

    Oh Mom watched some of the playlist videos and she was enjoying your tree top walk. We don't think we saw that video before, butt Mommy says, what a precious video of you walking the dogs and great song to go along with the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always find the most interesting places to walk. Naturally everyone want to pet your pretty fur me too!
    I heard your bark to the music.
    Sounds good to me.

    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arrrrrrroooooooo…. I loved da Paw-Wow pics.
    Wags,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looked like a lot of fun. My mom cannot do cold (and we live in Iowa!!) because it does bad things to her leg and hand muscles...we understand also why dweeb felt that way, Maggie would have been hiding and barking.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom enjoys going to Pow Wows around here. Bet it was fun getting lots of attention
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool. My brother Jetta (boy sheltie) is pretty nervous too and sticks like glue to my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting trip!! We especially liked the Pow-Wow stuff!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to go camping every weekend, and our campground held an Indian Pow Wow. They were so much fun!

    And Ryder knows what you mean. Strangers are constantly walking up to him just to stroke his fur for a minute or two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool place, looks like a lot of fun was had! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a very much exciting and educational find THAT was... even if it was COLD... it was so WELL WORTH It...
    We loved the Video...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is so cool! We would have loved going there. You should have told your dad that you were wearing a coat so he should too BOL!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great FIND! SHE would have loved that....Bella would have been dweebish though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how fun! I would love to see something like that.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  18. what fun!!! Did you know my name means "trusted friend" in American Indian? Mom forgets what Tribe. Barks and licks and love, Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well Reilly, I think you might be part native american! You were really barking along well with those drums!

    What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crikey .... you stumbled upon a happening! Aren't they the best times. You're not expecting anything and you find a happening. That's what Mum calls 'em. We stumble across 'em all the time and like you we have a lot of fun. There were a lot of palefaces in that pow wow, aye??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its getting pretty cool outside here too. It looks like a wonderful day!


    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you have some exciting things going on near your home! Love reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. COLD??!! Holy cow patties! It's been 92 all week!!! Oh, how I wish for that kind of weather......
    Anyhu, wowsa!! What a FABulous time you guys had! I would have barked right along too Reilly! That's the fun of drums, huh?!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry but Mom is laughing her you know what off right now because you were freezing and it was 55 degrees! Fun adventure though, and Dweeb was very brave I think. Love Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun, but those folks look a bit scary, were you scared? I bet you are glad you aren't in MN anymore since 55 is a heatwave!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great outing! I'm sure y'all were the best dogs around. Did the Indians dress startle you?

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fun encounter on your walk! I bet everyone was more than happy to love on you. I guess they didn't have fluffy dogs in the olden day!
    oxox
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun time! Our mom would have been standing in front of the wool spinners for hours!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for woofing at us - we read each and every one of them